BLESKmobil Case Study
Operating on the Telefónica O2 mobile network, BLESKmobil offers comprehensive coverage to the Czech Republic with no unnecessary infrastructure costs. As the first of its kind within the region, the company provides its customers great deals further establishing its hold in the prepaid mobile market. The BLESKmobil pay-as-you-go service with low-cost calling and text messaging targets customers who prefer simple, straightforward quality and value.
BLESKmobil is a subsidiary of Blesk, a leading daily newspaper in the Czech Republic and a part of Ringier Axel Springer Media AG, the Swiss-German publishing conglomerate which manages an extensive portfolio of over 70 print titles and more than 60 digital offerings in the expanding markets of Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Serbia.
Using Blesk’s readers as both a marketing and distribution channel, BLESKmobil has enjoyed sensational success in its market penetration.
Telefónica O2 Czech Republic – Member of the Telefónica Group
Telefónica Czech Republic (operating under the O2 brand) is a major integrated operator in the Czech Republic operating more than six million fixed and mobile lines making it a market leader in fully converged telecommunications services. The organization, part of the Spanish group Telefónica Europe, offers the most comprehensive portfolio of voice and data services in the country. In November, 2012, Telefónica Czech Republic made bulk access to its wireless communications network services available at wholesale rates allowing competing mobile virtual network operators to emerge nationwide with BLESKmobil leading the way.
Challenge – Mobile Market Transformation
Due to a perceived long-standing market inequity within the mobile communications market in the Czech Republic, the Czech Telecommunication Office – the government body responsible for regulating electronic communications – mandated all major operators to open their networks to allow for the introduction of smaller competing MVNOs. In order to retain its indirect market share, O2 took the initiative in becoming the first operator to adopt an end-to-end solution for virtual operators providing:
- Full support of its infrastructure and mobile network
- Full support of its operations and business support systems (OSS & BSS)
- Reliable Customer Care service
- Comprehensive Self-service for customers
An ambitious initiative was launched internally by Telefónica O2 with the goal of:
- Meeting the technical MVNO requirements within 6 months
- Establishing a business relationship with a suitable partner acting as the country’s first fully operational MVNO
Due to its highly successful track record and aligned area of expertise, Telefónica O2’s long-term implementation partner, the Emeldi Group, was chosen to cooperate closely with Telefonica O2 in delivering the analysis, design, architecture, and implementation of the MVNO OSS & BSS readiness project.
The Emeldi Commerce® – Enterprise Portal Suite – a comprehensive Java-based fully-fledged enterprise e-commerce solution aimed for deployment into tier-1 telecom, banking, & utilities enterprise service providers – was ultimately chosen as the product to deliver Telefónica O2’s set of requirements in the online channels domain and CRM.
The Emeldi Commerce® – Enterprise Portal Suite:
- Is a ready-made e-commerce product fully deployable into Liferay, requiring only local customization to Telefónica’s lines of business
- Contains MVNO functionality including CRM, Self-care, E-shop
- Can be fully integrated into operator’s OSS/BSS environment
- Features a flexible and enhanced user experience
- Simplifies and standardizes 3rd-party integration
- Includes optional upgrades designed to develop the solution and solution flexibility further
- Targets new clients (“digital natives”) using advanced web 2.0 functionality and marketing campaigns
- Supports the orchestration of business processes and integration with existing OSS and BSS systems
To meet Telefónica O2’s challenge, the entire Emeldi Commerce® – Enterprise Portal Suite modules were employed:
- Order Management
- Content Management
- Dynamic Page Flow Engine
- Integration Framework
- Enterprise Portal Services
- Customer Intelligence
- Campaign Management
- Rules Engine
- Customer Engagements
- Marketing Enterprise Portal Management
Business Value Added
Following a successful deployment and adoption of the Emeldi Commerce® – Enterprise Portal Suite for prepaid mobile services, Telefónica O2 and BLESKmobil continue to increase their market share of mobile subscriptions within the Czech Republic.
The Emeldi Commerce® – Enterprise Portal Suite has enabled Telefónica O2 and BLESKmobil to leverage both a ready-made integrated MVNO-in-a-box, and comprehensive e-commerce product achieving significant savings in cost and time throughout the project delivery. Within 6 months of its inception, BLESKmobil was fully operational and enjoying great success in the Czech telecommunication market.
Want your own copy of this case study?