Emtéčko Case Study
Making itself the fifth MVNO to break into the Czech market with O2 Czech Republic, Emtéčko has successfully positioned itself as a competitive leader to the EU market since its inception in 2013 through providing advantageous benefits for intra-EU users, such as free incoming calls, rates which taper with use, and low-cost roaming rates.
As a member of the Telefónica Group, (operating under the O2 brand), Telefónica O2 Czech Republic serves over six million fixed and mobile lines making it a market leader in fully converged telecommunications services in the Czech market. The organization, part of the Spanish group Telefónica Europe, offers the most comprehensive portfolio of voice and data services in the country. In November, 2012, Telefónica Czech Republic made bulk access to its wireless communications network services available at wholesale rates allowing competing mobile virtual network operators, with Emtéčko being just one of several successful MVNO branches along with Blesk, Gorila, Tesco and CEZ mobile.
CHALLENGE – Mobile Market Transformation
In November 2012, as a reaction to the market inequity among mobile communications within the Czech markets, the Czech Communication Office, responsible for regulating electronic communications, implemented a call to action that all major operators open their networks to MVNOs. This enabled smaller-scale providers a leg-up into the market to make it a more dynamic and competitive landscape.
O2 was proactive to retain its indirect share in the market and took the initiative in becoming the first operator to adopt an end-to-end solution for virtual operators providing:
- Full support of its infrastructure and mobile network
- Full support of its operations and business support systems (OSS & BSS)
- Reliable Customer Care service comprehensive
By 2013, Telefónica O2’s and the Emeldi Group had already developed a portfolio of successes togethers, so choosing Emeldi again was a nature solution for delivering the analysis, design, architecture, and implementation of the MVNO OSS & BSS readiness project.
The Emeldi Commerce® – a comprehensive Java-based fully-fledged enterprise e-commerce solution aimed for deployment into tier-1 telecom, banking, & utilities enterprise service providers – was ultimately chosen as the product to deliver Telefónica O2’s set of requirements in the online channels domain and CRM. The Emeldi Commerce®:
- Is a ready-made e-commerce product fully deployable into Liferay, requiring only local customization to Telefónica’s lines of business
- Contains MVNO functionality including:
- Can be fully integrated into operator’s OSS/BSS environment
- Features a flexible and enhanced user experience
- Simplifies and standardizes 3rd-party integration
- Includes optional upgrades designed to develop the solution and solution flexibility further
- Targets new clients (“digital natives”) using advanced web 2.0 functionality and marketing campaigns Supports the orchestration of business processes and integration with existing OSS and BSS systems
To meet Telefónica O2’s challenge, the entire Emeldi Commerce® – modules were employed:
- Order Management
- Portfolio Content Management
- Dynamic Page Flow
- Engine Integration Framework
- Enterprise Portal Services
- Customer Intelligence Campaign
- Management Rules Engine
- Customer Engagements
- Marketing Enterprise Portal Management
BUSINESS VALUE ADDED
Within six months, Emeldi Commerce® was deployed and helped Emtéčko with a successful launch into the Czech market. Presently, Telefónica O2 and Emtéčko continue to increase their market share of mobile subscriptions while Emeldi Commerce® has enabled Telefónica O2 and Emtéčko to leverage both a ready-made integrated MVNO-in-a-box, and comprehensive e-commerce product achieving significant savings in cost and time throughout the project delivery.
Want your own copy of this case study?